Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Pennsylvania

Hello,

Almost 2 years ago I was scammed online. I was offered a job and was sent my first paycheck. I brought the check to my bank and cashed it. The check was for $2000. I only had $200 in my account, but the teller cashed it anyways. A week later the bank notified me by mail that the check was fraud and that I owed the bank the $2000. I filed a police report and they found the woman responsible for the scam. By the time they found the woman, I had already paid back $1,400 to the bank. Currently I have been struggling financially and cannot make any more payments. I have not heard from the bank for over 7 months now. Should I be worried that they will press charges against me? Please help.

While you were the victim, you owe the bank because the bank gave you the $2000. The bank may or may not sue you civilly - they have 4 years after the date of your last payment to do that. I doubt that the bank will pursue you criminally, but other banks have done just that, so no attorney is going to give you a guarantee on that.

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms