Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Pennsylvania

I purchased a vehicle from a friend for $700. On the day i purchased it i could only pay her $500 and she had me sign a paper saying i payed that and owed her $200. That paper was not notarized, just an agreement between us. Unfortunately i have not been able to pay her and she wants to take it to court. My question is do i technically owe her when the sale receipt says it was sold from her to me for $500 and that document is notarized since she had to sign the car over to me?

Asked on 10/25/12, 12:40 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Greg Artim Morrow & Artim, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You owe the money, pay the bill. Shocking that you consider yourself this person's "friend".

Read more
Answered on 10/25/12, 12:44 pm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Why on earth would you think that you have no legal duty to pay here? You indicate in the facts that the selling price was $700 not $500. You also admit that you signed a piece of paper. Why then because she messed up and gave you title to the car and put $500 in the bill of sale do you think you get to walk away from this and not pay?

And, if you truly considered her your friend, you would never have let it get this far. True friends would have recognized that they have a moral duty to pay and would have done the right thing regardless of what was on a piece of paper.

I would not let this go to court and would find a way to pay the woman the rest of the money for the car.

Read more
Answered on 10/25/12, 10:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now