Legal Question in Criminal Law in Pennsylvania

when property is seized during a warrentless search, what procedures must law enforcement follow to protect the integrity of the evidence? LE came to my house on an "anonymous report" re: alleged meth lab activities. During a 'walk through search' of my domicile a nearly empty cannister of TranQuility bath salts was taken by the officer who indicated he was sending it to lab due to recently being illegal in PA. I was not issued a receipt for my property nor was it placed into a sealed evidence bag, he merely 'chucked' it into his coat pocket. Now, three and half months later I am being charged with possession under the new federal ban on synthetic cathinones (MDPV specifically) even though the cannister was empty except for dusty residue since I had had it for over three months and never bothered to throw out the container. I believe I am being harassed for no other reason than an inflated, power tripping egomaniacs' agenda.

John Davidson Law Office of John A. Davidson

So you got caught with something you knew was illegal. I doubt it's some power tripping egomaniac's responsibility. No dude you were being stupid. From here it looks like you should be thankful being stupid isn't a crime in Pennsylvania. From the sounds of it you consented to the search. Next why did you hang on to the container? Saving it for your museum?

{John}

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania