Pennsylvania  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/18/13, 4:32 am

in what county do i file for divorce if my wife lives in indiana county and i live in cambria county. both in pennsylvania. Also what court would we need to go through for child custoday support ect??

1 Answer

Answered on: 5/19/13, 11:49 pm by Rachel Hunter

Do you and your wife have any children? Do you and your wife own any marital property together and where is it located?

State law is the same in either county. However, if children or property is involved, I would file in the county where those things are located if the divorce is going to involve child custody/support or equitable distribution.

Otherwise, it will not much matter. You can file in Cambria if you have no property and no children. if child support/custody is at issue, you file in the "home" county of the child - basically where the child has lived for the last 6 months.

The rules for venue are found in Title 231 of the Pa Code, Rules 1900 et seq.

Below is the link:

But why are you worrying about this? You should see a family law attorney.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Attorney address not available

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search