Pennsylvania  |  Juvenile Dependency

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/27/13, 10:32 am

I'm 17 and will be turning 18 in December. i have a very bad relationship with my mother and she always threatens to kick me out of the house and also states that she will sign any papers to get rid of me. I am employed and have 3 homes that are willing to take me in at any moment. How can I get a legal emancipation through that ?

1 Answer

Answered on: 9/03/13, 1:37 am by Rachel Hunter

If you are so close, then just go. Unlikely that your mother would fight to get you back. Once you are 18, you will be a legal adult and can do what you want.

There is no set age for emancipation - you have to file a petition with the court and ask for permission to be treated as an adult. You will have to show that you are capable of supporting yourself.

As I said, you are very close now. Either tough it out until your 18th birthday or have a talk with mom and see if she will consent to you moving in with one of the homes that is willing to take you in. If she will not consent, then either leave now or wait and make your arrangements to move out on your birthday.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Attorney address not available

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search