Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Pennsylvania

Can I force someone to buy you out of a house that you own jointly?

Miriam Jacobson Law Offices of Miriam N. Jacobson

You can, by filing a lawsuit for "partition". But, you and your co-owner will both lose most of your equity to court costs and fees in that lawsuit. You're both better off negotiating a buy out or agreeing to and cooperating in a sale, with splitting the proceeds.

THIS RESPONSE IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, SINCE I DO NOT HAVE ALL OF THE INFORMATION THAT WOULD BE REQUIRED, AND I DO NOT HAVE A REPRESENTATION AGREEMENT WITH YOU.

* If the answers to your question confirm that you have a valid issue or worthwhile claim, your next step should almost always be to establish a dialog with a lawyer who can provide specific advice to you. Contact a lawyer in your county or township.

* Another reason for contacting a lawyer is that it is often impossible to give a good answer in the Internet Q&A format without having more information. The unique circumstances of your situation and things that you may not have thought to mention in your question may completely change the answer. If you want to be sure that you have a complete answer to your question and an understanding of what that answer means, establish a connection with a lawyer who practices in the area of your concern.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Pennsylvania