Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Pennsylvania

quitclaim deed questions

a former spouse wants to buy out ex-husband. Can new wife, using power of attorney, sign the quitclaim deed since he cannot.

There will need to be a new mortgage for buyer for what is still owed plus the price agreed to transfer ownership

thank you

Asked on 3/08/07, 2:10 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Miriam Jacobson Law Offices of Miriam N. Jacobson
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: quitclaim deed questions

If the power of attorney from ex-husband gives his new wife the proper authority to sell his interest in a home, the new wife, as "agent" under the power of attorney, may sign deed documents.

The deed should NOT be signed and delivered before the mortgage closing of the buyer.

Even as the seller, you may want to have a formal settlement with a title insurance company [which is almost certain to be required by the buyer's mortgage lender], so that you will know that the ex-husband is released from any obligations relating to the property and that he is no longer in title.

Read more
Answered on 3/08/07, 10:49 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Pennsylvania

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now