Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Pennsylvania

Am i responsible for debts incurred by my late life partner? Can a lien be put on the house he left me to pay his debts?

Miriam Jacobson Law Offices of Miriam N. Jacobson

Condolences on your recent loss.

If he owned the house, and it is his debt, the house is part of the estate, and as such, is subject first to payment of estate debts before it can be distributed according to the will or intestate law if there was no will. But as to unsecured debts (those that did not have any property pledged to secure their payment), unless you were also on those debts, you are not responsible for them. Your late partner's estate is. Again, the house would be part of the estate and may have to be sold to pay estate debts if there are insufficient other assets to pay debts.

THIS RESPONSE IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, SINCE I DO NOT HAVE ALL OF THE INFORMATION THAT WOULD BE REQUIRED, AND I DO NOT HAVE A REPRESENTATION AGREEMENT WITH YOU.

* If the answers to your question confirm that you have a valid issue or worthwhile claim, your next step should almost always be to establish a dialog with a lawyer who can provide specific advice to you. Contact a lawyer in your county or township.

* Another reason for contacting a lawyer is that it is often impossible to give a good answer in the Internet Q&A format without having more information. The unique circumstances of your situation and things that you may not have thought to mention in your question may completely change the answer. If you want to be sure that you have a complete answer to your question and an understanding of what that answer means, establish a connection with a lawyer who practices in the area of your concern.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Pennsylvania