Legal Question in Tax Law in Pennsylvania

Wrongful death taxes on law suit

My husband had an accident on a motor cycle and lived 1 year in a coma. I did not have power of atty for him and had to get guardianship of him. A lwa suit was file while he was living and is about to be settled. I am told that i could possible owe money after i pay the inheritence tax state tax legal fees and ins co bills. What is the % that i would be liable for and why is it an inheritance taxfor me his wife

Bonnie Moses Dessen, Moses & Rossitto

Re: Wrongful death taxes on law suit

Inheritance law can be very complicated and the details are very important, please email our inheritance law attorney, Sam Rossitto at srossitt@dms-lawyer.com and give him your name and phone number and he will call you to discuss your case. Thank you.

Mark Muntean Mark Muntean, Attorney at Law

Re: Wrongful death taxes on law suit

Your question is a little more complicated than you think.

First, there is the question of the wrongful death recovery. Were punitive damages recovered? Was there interest on the judgment? Were the attorneys fees contingent?

Second, for federal estate tax purposes, you are worried about the federal estate tax. Questions include did you have a trust? Did your husband have insurance?

Third, in connection with state estate taxes, not many states have separate state estate taxs, but some do.

You can give me a call if you like.

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania

Tax and Taxation Law Legal Forms