Pennsylvania  |  Wills and Trusts

I lived with someone for one year but I'm not on the lease and he wants to kick me out. How long do I have to move out?

Answered on: 1/09/12, 12:16 pm by Rachel Hunter

First, this is not a probate question. Its a landlord tenant question.

More importantly, you don't provide any details relating to your arrangement with your roommate. I would assume that this was a romantic liason rather than a true sublet of an apartment, in which case you probably did not sign any kind of a lease with your roommate and you are a tenany by sufferance. If that is the case, you really are not entitled to much in the way of notice.

Generally, you would be subject to all the terms and conditions as are in your roommate's lease. While your roommate would want you out as soon as possible, it would be better if you and your roommate came up with something reasonable - 30 days would be ideal, but you may have to compromise. Try and get all of your possessions out of the apartment at one time. Don't leave things behind, as it will be very difficult to retrieve the items if the roommate is uncooperative.

You may also want to re-post this with more details and direct your question to landlord tenant or real estate attorneys.

Attorney address not available