Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Pennsylvania

In Pennsylvania can I close an estate without an attorney. If so what would need to filed to close out my deceased father's estate

Asked on 3/30/13, 2:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You do not need an attorney to close out an estate. However, the lack of an attorney does not mean you can disregard the other laws.

Since no attorney is familiar with what you have or have not done to date its not possible to competently advise you. You would do best to pay a probate attorney to review what you have done and tell you what else needs to be done.

Where is the estate probated? Some counties require final confirmation before a judge and some have a hearing before the clerk.

What all is in the estate? Are you the only beneficiary? Have you sent releases to the beneficiaries? Have all estate/inheritance taxes, if owed, been paid and have you received certification from the PA Department of revenue/IRS?

Assuming that notice has been filed, an inventory has been filed and all claims are paid, then a final accounting needs filed. Beneficiaries have to be given notice of this unless you have them sign receipts. The final accounting is then presented to the court or clerk for confirmation. Once the account is confirmed you then turn over the assets to the beneficiaries as per the will.

Read more
Answered on 3/30/13, 8:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Pennsylvania

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now