Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Rhode Island

I gave a security deposit for an apartment, then two weeks later decided I didn't want the apartment. The landlord refuses to return my money. What do I do?

Jonathan Whaley Whaley, Bowie & Bagley LLC

You need to provide a few more pieces of information to get an accurate answer. First, when did you give the security deposit? How much did you give? When did you, or when were you supposed to, move in? Was this an actual "security deposit" or was it prepaid rent, e.g. first month's rent?

A landlord is entitled to take a security deposit at the beginning of a new rental term but not in excess of one month's rent. That deposit must be returned within twenty days after the tenant gives proper notice, moves out, returns the key and provides a forwarding address. The landlord may only deduct from the security deposit unpaid rent and physical damages other than ordinary wear and tear.

Feel free to contact my office at 401-454-7700 if you'd like further assistance.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Rhode Island

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms