Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Rhode Island

My mother had her house in a revocable trust with me, her son. as the beneficiary. The trust along with a warranty deed is recorded at city hall in Newport, Ri.

She died 2 weeks ago. What is the procedure to transfer ownership of the house?

Do I need a death certificate? Do I need a new deed? Thank you for your prompt answer.

Staff General Counsel LawyersCollaborative

I am sorry for your loss.

The trust needs to convey to you if, in fact, the property is titled in the name of the trust. See a lawyer to review the trust, the terms of which will dictate anything else that may be required. Best shot is the lawyer who represented your mom in creating the trust.

But having death certificates is always a good idea when someone passes, until all accounts and matters settled.

Scott

For your information, LawyersCollaborative offers as a community service low cost telephone consultations, limited engagements, and low-bono and pro-bono services in appropriate cases.

Best wishes,

Scott Summer, Staff General Counsel

LawyersCollaborative

www.lawyerscollaborative.com

Cell 401-965-7771 (after hours only for emergency use, please, and does not accept blocked calls)

Note: The above information does not constitute legal advice. Unless a written Collaborative Representation Agreement has been signed, neither LawyersCollaborative nor any of its Staff General Counsel is your legal representative.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Rhode Island