Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Rhode Island

My mother had her house in a revocable trust with me, her son. as the beneficiary. The trust along with a warranty deed is recorded at city hall in Newport, Ri.

She died 2 weeks ago. What is the procedure to transfer ownership of the house?

Do I need a death certificate? Do I need a new deed? Thank you for your prompt answer.

Asked on 6/06/13, 2:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Staff General Counsel LawyersCollaborative
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I am sorry for your loss.

The trust needs to convey to you if, in fact, the property is titled in the name of the trust. See a lawyer to review the trust, the terms of which will dictate anything else that may be required. Best shot is the lawyer who represented your mom in creating the trust.

But having death certificates is always a good idea when someone passes, until all accounts and matters settled.


For your information, LawyersCollaborative offers as a community service low cost telephone consultations, limited engagements, and low-bono and pro-bono services in appropriate cases.

Best wishes,

Scott Summer, Staff General Counsel


Cell 401-965-7771 (after hours only for emergency use, please, and does not accept blocked calls)

Note: The above information does not constitute legal advice. Unless a written Collaborative Representation Agreement has been signed, neither LawyersCollaborative nor any of its Staff General Counsel is your legal representative.

Read more
Answered on 6/06/13, 5:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Rhode Island

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now