Legal Question in Criminal Law in South Carolina

use of company credit card

worked for a company that issued card with my name on it also, I used it and ran up a bill of $2000.00. owner first wanted me to work off debt he kept 2 weeks salary. i was then laid off. I said i would pay off as soon as I found job, now he has plans to file charges/ what can I do is this criminal or civil/ will I be arrested?

Robert Johnston Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston

Re: use of company credit card

The first part of your question is missing. I assume that you are saying that you stole $2,000 from your boss, and that you and your boss agreed that you would work it off, but then you lost your job. Now you want to know what you can do and if it is criminal or civil. The answer is there is nothing you can do but pay him his money and hope that he doesn't take a warrant out on you. It is criminal, not civil.

Harry Pavilack Pavilack and Associates, P.A.

Re: use of company credit card

If the charges were unauthorized then the act constitutes embezzlement and the person may be prosecuted accordingly. However there is also a civil aspect to this which would constitute unjust enrichment which would allow the employer to recover in a civil suit.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in South Carolina