South Carolina  |  Consumer Law

car repair

My car died while driving it. I pulled over and after a few minutes i got it to turn over only to have it cut out again. Then after about ten minutes i got it to turn over long enough to get to a safe location. i had it to towed to the aaa car care center and they told me it was my fuel pump. i had them replace it and while driving my car home it died again in the same way it had that morning. the same guy who had towed me that morning came and towed me again. he said in his opinion that in most cases if you have a bad fuel pump that the car will not turn back over. they called me the next day to tell me that it was something shorting out and it would be another 300 to fix. do i have any recorse i just don't feel that i should have to pay if they made a mistake and falsely repaired the wrong thing.

Answered on: 4/28/08, 9:23 am by John Roxon

Re: car repair

If you can show that the fuel pump repair was unnecessary, they should refund/credit you the money for the repair. However, they may try to claim that the fuel pump was faulty and then later, coincidentally, a short occurred. If you have the old fuel pump you could take it to another mechanic and have it checked. Otherwise, the best you can do is try to work something out with the shop. If it is a reputable operation, they would rather keep you as a customer than fight over $300.

Roxon Law Office LLC P O Box 21449 Charleston, SC 29413