South Carolina  |  DUI Law

I was charged with a 2nd offense DUI on December 1st, 2012.I did blow and I blew a .13. This happened in Anderson County, South Carolina.Is Jail time mandatory?Also, is a fine mandatory or is it one or the other but not both in south carolina?How much of a fine am I looking at and How much jail time am I looking at based on the case info given in this question.Also, if I get jail time, in south carolina for a 2nd offense DUI charge is it a law that you are only required to serve half the sentence before being released?I have heard this, but not sure.Thanks for any help you can give.

Answered on: 12/12/12, 6:42 pm by Robert Johnston

All of your questions are intelligent questions. However, your putting the horse in front of the cart, so to speak. You are talking as though you know you are going to be convicted. Blowing over .13 is over the legal limit. However, there is a lot involved with the DUI laws and there is far more to consider, legally speaking. Before you spend much more time concerning yourself with your sentence and punishment, you really ought to be spending some time consulting with a DUI attorney on a possible defense, reduction of the charge, and have the case evaluated and see if there is anything a lawyer can do for you. The general public doesn't understand how often something can be worked out on a lot of DUI cases.

As far as answering your questions, all of the answers require knowing more information. Once you actually speak with a lawyer, you will see what I'm referring to. Good luck.

Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston 843-946-0099 Myrtle Beach, SC 29578