Legal Question in DUI Law in South Carolina

minor in possession of beer and open containers

Me and a friend were caught at a bowling alley with alcohol. I had my friends purse and the officer found beer in it. Neither of us are 21. The officers proceeded to tear up her car while searching it and pat us down, including feeling down our shirts. They kept me in cuffs the whole time but not her. They found open containers in her car and tried to accuse us of also doing numerous other narcotics..which weren't true. I got a $500 ticket for minor in possession of beer, and she got $200 for open containers. My questions are, is it right for my ticket to be so much more? Also, in SC does our licenses get suspended? And, how can I get this expunged so that I can go to nursing school? Thanks.

Robert Johnston Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston

Re: minor in possession of beer and open containers

Different tickets have different fine amounts. Apparently the law feels that your ticket is more serious than your friend's ticket, so the fine is higher. As to whether you get your license suspended, that may or may not happen depending on how the case is disposed of. As to an expundgement, the process is too lengthly to explain here. However, your welcome to call. Robert Johnston (843) 828-1137

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in South Carolina