South Carolina  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 1/08/13, 7:20 am

My 4 year old daughter has not had contact with her biological father since January 2011. In January 2012, he removed her from his health benefits. Her biological father, nor paternal family members, have chosen to not make any efforts to contact my daughter, or offer any form of support - emotional, financial, physical etc, yet last I knew he lived 10 minutes down the road from us, so there should never have been a reason he didn't have any contact. We were never married, however he is listed on her birth certificate and she has his surname. My husband has been in my daughter's life since 2010 and would like to adopt her. She knows him as her father and refers to his last name as her own. I believe this would be in the best interest of my child, as it will complete our family unity. I am just in the need for help in being pointed in the right direction, what my options are, if this is grounds for termination of parental rights for her biological father etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search