South Carolina  |  Family Law

I am a US citizen five years ago I married a Jamaican citizen in Jamaica. We have two children together and he has never been to the US. How do I go about filing for divorce. I have been living in SC for over a year, and I read the SC law on divorce and if I divorce in Jamaica SC will not acknowledge it. So how do I go about starting the process.

Answered on: 2/08/11, 7:55 pm by Ben Stevens

If you have lived in SC for over a year, then SC will have jurisdiction to grant you a divorce. Whether it will have jurisdiction to address the other issues (custody, child support, asset/debt distribution, etc.) will depend on the facts of your specific case.

These are complex issues, and it is important that they be handled correctly. Therefore, it is important that you consult an experienced family law attorney to find out what options are available to you based on the facts of your particular case.

If you need more information, you can visit my family law blog (www.SCFamilyLaw.com) or our website (www.SpartanburgLawyers.com). I wish you the best of luck.

Ben Stevens

The Stevens Firm, P.A. Family Law Center 1188 Asheville Highway Spartanburg, SC 29303