Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

dating during separation

I have been separated from my husband for 22 months. The legal separation agreement states that we were separated in August of 2007. I have been in a friendly relationship with another man for 14 months. This man has a five year old child that I love dearly. The child's mother (they were never married to each other) is trying to claim that the father is unfit because he is dating a married woman. Is this dating going to be a problem in the eyes of the law? Any advice...please!

Ben Stevens The Stevens Firm, P.A. Family Law Center

Re: dating during separation

Well, the mother can make an argument that makes him unfit, and while I doubt she'll get much mileage from it, it certainly doesn't help his chances any. You could probably help his situation by going ahead and getting your divorce finalized a.s.a.p. If you need more information, you can visit my family law blog (www.SCFamilyLaw.com) or our website (www.StevensFirm.com). I wish you the best of luck.

Ben Stevens

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina