Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

We want to do a DIY un-contested divorce. No minor children, division of assets and property have already been agreed upon. It's a very friendly divorce. I'm moving back to CT, husband staying in SC and he will keep the house and I will transfer ownership to him alone. Can we complete our settlement agreement during the required year separation or do we have to wait until the end of the 1 yr. requirement? There's been no adultery or other bad things that happened to end the marriage, we just aren't compatible and want to end it and move on with our lives as soon as possible. Please advise. Thank you.

John Jackson Law Office of John A. Jackson, P.C.

You can do a separation agreement at any time but it should be filed with the court as part of an action for Separate Support and Maintenance action. If you do not know the answer to this simple question are you sure you really don't need legal representation?

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina