South Carolina  |  Family Law

How do Judge Johnson's guidelines and restrictions on parental conduct apply if you weren't married to begin with? In particular section III, #5. It states "Neither party shall expose their child/children to conditions which imply a relationship such as a boyfriend or girlfriend, paramour/lover or some type of improper relationship while the parties are still maried to another person." One attorney says if you weren't married this doesn't apply, yet another attorney says you can still be held in contempt.

Answered on: 2/08/11, 7:59 pm by Ben Stevens

The key there is "while still married to another person." If you aren't married, then it doesn't apply. The intent is to keep the child away from adulterous conduct.

These are complex issues, and it is important that they be handled correctly. Therefore, it is important that you consult an experienced family law attorney to find out what options are available to you based on the facts of your particular case.

If you need more information, you can visit my family law blog (www.SCFamilyLaw.com) or our website (www.SpartanburgLawyers.com). I wish you the best of luck.

Ben Stevens

The Stevens Firm, P.A. Family Law Center 1188 Asheville Highway Spartanburg, SC 29303