South Carolina  |  Family Law

I live in South Carolina. I have committed adultery but am not able to continue living with my wife. I want a divorce, but she does not. Can I file for divorce even though I committed adultery?

Thank you

Answered on: 6/05/13, 5:30 am by Ben Stevens

You cannot file for a divorce based on your own fault. However, you can file for a legal separation if no other options are available, but there may be significant pros/cons to consider before deciding to take that step.

These are complex issues, and it is important that they be handled correctly. Therefore, it is important that you consult an experienced family law attorney to find out what options are available to you based on the facts of your particular case.

If you need more information, you can visit my family law blog (www.SCFamilyLaw.com) or our website (www.SpartanburgLawyers.com). I wish you the best of luck.

Ben Stevens

The Stevens Firm, P.A. Family Law Center 1188 Asheville Highway Spartanburg, SC 29303