Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

Rights of the natural mother.

My husband has full custody of his 11 year old son, and did not want child support. The natural mother has not made any effort to be a mother, nor has she made any contact with the child in the past 3 years. Does she have any rights, if I try to adopt the child ?

Asked on 9/20/02, 8:32 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Walter Smith Law Offices of Walter H. Smith
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Rights of the natural mother.

By statute, parental rights may be terminated if a parent fails to support their child materially within their means for a period of 6 months, uninterupted, or fails to have meaningful contact with the child for a period of 6 months, uninterupted. Due to the prior Order @ child support, the second ground would seem best. Termination of parental rights is the first cause of action to be alleged, and adoption is the second. It sounds as if you are well situated to adopt.

Read more
Answered on 9/20/02, 1:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now