South Carolina  |  Traffic Law

Do I need an attorney!

I was involved in a serious traffic accident yesterday. The other driver was driving a semi truck with a 40 ft trailer. He went into the left hand lane (ther are only 2 lanes) where I thought he was stopping at his home and he didn't have his turn signal on, but he made a right hand turn and I didnot see hime until it was too late. My van was totaled and know one was hurt. I was charged with the accident and received a ticket for driving to fast in unfavorable conditions. The speed limit is 55, I was going 45. The ticket not only had my incorrect address but said the weather was cloudy, but it was sunny, and since his turn signal was working, I was charged. I want to contest this, do I need an attorney? Should I get one? Please help!

Answered on: 5/25/01, 3:06 pm by Robert Johnston

Re: Do I need an attorney!

Yes you absolutely do need an attorney. If you contest it, you will be dealing with a full blown trial. You would have to have trial skills and knoweldge, understand the applicable statutory and case law, rules of procedure, rules of evidence, direct and cross examination, etc. Quite frankly, that is why people go to law school for three years. Call me and I'll fill you in. Robert Johnston 843-828-1137

Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston 843-946-0099 Myrtle Beach, SC 29578