Legal Question in Criminal Law in Tennessee

how do I get a misdemeanor drug charge expunged in Cannon County, Tennessee?

Asked on 2/17/10, 3:23 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Expungement is free and simple if:

1 - You were found not guilty, or;

2 - The charge was dismissed, or;

3 - The charge was returned "no true bill" by a grand jury, or;

4 - The District Attorney entered a "nolle prosequi," refusing to prosecute your case.

Expungement is simple, but not free, if:

1 - You completed pretrial diversion (T.C.A. 40-15-105) or post-trial/judicial diversion (T.C.A. 40-35-313).

There is a simple form to be filled out, the Clerk of the Court has a stack of them, and you will have to pay a fee (I think it is $150.00) if the charge was dismissed under a diversion.

A plain and simple "I was convicted years ago" conviction cannot be expunged, no matter how old it is. The only remedy to try and clean up an old -- but final -- conviction is executive clemency, that is, go to the Governor and ask for pardon.

Read more
Answered on 2/23/10, 12:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Tennessee

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now