Tennessee  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/08/03, 1:04 pm

Divorce and Foreclosure

My Parents are separated my dad wants the divorce ( he has a girlfriend .. reason of seperation) my mother doesn't want it . My mother moved out of their house , my dad still lives there now they are foreclosing on it. My dad does not work how can my mom get out of the mortgage or can she file chapter 7 bancruptcy ??? If the foreclosure goes through can my mom be sued for the remainder of the mortgage?

1 Answer

Answered on: 7/13/03, 11:04 pm by Heidi Milam

Re: Divorce and Foreclosure

It is possible that your mother could file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy to discharge the mortgage. She should speak with an attorney who can examine her entire financial situation to determine if she is eligible. If she does not file bankruptcy, she could be sued for any deficiency balance that might accrue after foreclosure. Other than your mother filing bankruptcy, the only way she could get "out" of the mortgage would be for your father to refinance the mortgage without her.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Heidi S. Milam, Attorney at Law P.O. Box 867 Hernando, MS 38632

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search