Legal Question in Family Law in Tennessee

question on children born out of wedlock in Tennessee

I am trying to find out a truth to what I have been told about a certain law in Tennessee. If a couple who is not married but in turn are still legally married to other people have a child ,does the father(who is not married to childs mother because she is married to someone else)have to wait 360 days to give that child his last name? The child right now has the last name of the mothers husband(the mother and husband are separated)and childs father was told he can not give the child his last name until he waits 360 days. Is this true and will he need a DNA to establish his paternity when the 360 days are up and he gives the child his name?

Asked on 5/16/07, 11:00 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: question on children born out of wedlock in Tennessee

YES, that is the law. This happens a lot. You can remedy the situation, however, by going to the Juvenile Court of the county where the child lives and ask the Court to amend the birth certificate, but you need an attorney to do that.

Read more
Answered on 5/16/07, 2:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Tennessee

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now