Legal Question in Family Law in Tennessee

Verbal abuse from non-custodial parent

A friend has recently divorced. Her ex-husband is verbally abusive to the children when they are with him for visits. He has not struck any person physically, yet his anger is so out of control that he has come close to kicking the family dog to death. He has custody of two children from a previous marriage, both of which he is highly verbally abusive towards. He sometimes rages so angrily that his younger son, of whom the aforementioned woman has custody, becomes unable to sleep on his return home, presumably secondary to his fear.

Are there any intervention venues she might avail herself of? The children are currently under the care of a child psychology practitioner. She will be reporting the abusive behavior forthrightly.

Her son cried today, saying he never wants to go back to his father's house.

Any advice or direction would be considered most helpful. She is financially disadvantaged.

Asked on 7/18/99, 10:16 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jes Beard Jes Beard, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Verbal abuse from non-custodial parent

She can petition the court awarding the divorce and ask for a change in the visitation order, bringing her concerns to the attention of the court and asking for restrictions on the visitation.

Read more
Answered on 8/14/99, 12:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Tennessee

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now