Tennessee  |  Intellectual Property

I am a teacher at a charter school. At my school, we take the state educational standards and break them down creating our own assessments, lesson plans, and daily documents. we do not use any published curriculum. I created all these documents myself spending about 80 hours a week working on this. I am leaving my school at the end of the year and my school has asked me to put all of my documents on a flash drive to give to them for their new teacher for next year. I feel that these are my documents and do not want another teacher just ripping off my stuff after I spent so many hours on them. Do I have any legal grounds here to refuse or copyright?

Answered on: 5/21/13, 10:00 am by John Barney

You probably do not have any claim to the materials. Since you wrote them within the scope of your work at the school, they would likely be considered work for hire and belong to your employer.

Barney Law Firm 1550 W. McEwen Dr., Suite 300 Franklin, TN 37067