Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Tennessee

Wills and Probate

My father left a will but the family decided not to probate. Land is involved & the new owner paid the debt but refuses to release my check because he wants to see that all my dad's bills are paid in full with a release from the hospice he was staying at. My brother recieved his share of the land payoff but the owner is holding my check hostage. If I do not get my check do I need to get a lawyer in TN or go back to the lawyer that officiated the will for my dad?

Asked on 5/15/08, 12:47 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Wills and Probate

In my opinion you shoulsd have probated the Will. It is not for the family to decide to roabte it or not. If your father left a Will, it should be probated particularly to clear up the denbts he had at his death. Tennessee Code Annotated 39-14-131 - Destruction or concealment of will - states that "Any person who destroys or conceals the last will and testament of a testator, or any codicil thereto, with intent to prevent the probate thereof or defraud any devisee or legatee, commits a Class E felony."

Read more
Answered on 5/15/08, 11:09 am
Mitchell Roth MW Roth, Professional Law Corporation
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Wills and Probate

Something is wrong with your question. Land cannot be transfered without probate if it was in your dad's name when he died.

Read more
Answered on 5/15/08, 5:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Tennessee

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88563 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now