Texas  |  Sexual Harassment

Date Rape Drug Prosecution

My daughter has been a victim of a date rape drug and raped by a bar owner. Video tape was obtained by the police from the establishment clearly showing the drug being put in her drink by someone other than the rapist, but a friend of the rapist. A Rape kit was done by forensics and we were told that the evidence would only be processed if they don't agree to a plea bargin offer. My question is should we get an attorney to represent our daughter even if the DA prosecutes? Can she sue for damages?

Answered on: 6/25/08, 3:21 pm by Daniel Ross

Re: Date Rape Drug Prosecution

I am sorry to hear about what happened to your daughter. I know it must be a difficult time for her and the family.

You should contact an attorney immediately so that your attorney can send the appropriate letters to preserve all the evidence in the case. Your daughter likely has claims against the assailant, the friend of the assailant, and the bar owner. Regardless of whether the DA pursues criminal charges, your daughter would still be able to pursue the matter in the civil courts.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Ross Law Group 1104 San Antonio St. Austin, TX 78701

Answered on: 6/24/08, 8:36 pm by David Leon

Re: Date Rape Drug Prosecution

Yes, your daughter should obtain an attorney and prosecute a civil claim. You also need to make sure that the evidence is saved after the criminal trial. Your daughter may have a civil case against the bar and all who participated in the crime. Please feel free to call me if you wish to discuss the matter at no charge.

David L. Leon, P.C. 3500 Oak Lawn Ave., Ste. 205 Dallas, TX 75219