Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

How old does a minor have to be to make a choice about which parent they want to live with when the parents are getting a divorce?

Asked on 10/14/09, 10:57 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Keith Engelke Law Office of S. Keith Engelke
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

At 12 and over, the judge will listen to the child's preferences. However the judge is not bound by the child's decision.

Read more
10/19/09, 11:26 am
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Children can only express their preference as to who they want to live with. Many Courts do not like children being dragged into divorces by parents who want to make them choose.

Read more
10/19/09, 7:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88283 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now