Legal Question in Personal Injury in Texas

I'm an uninsured individual who initiated a case pro-se in TX after an injury in a car accident. The defense attorney negotiated a settlement to which I will agree. However, they are asking that I provide my social sec. number. Is this required by law? The settlement is only a couple thousand, and there is no punitary settlement, just recompense for injury. I'm concerned about privacy issues.

Asked on 3/01/13, 1:24 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Roger Merrill Merrill & Associates
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Their reason for asking is due to IRS reporting requirements (see Form 199-MISC). I know that they have to send them to attorneys when settlements total $600 or more. In regard to individuals, I am not sure; but I would expect that they have to report the payment made to you especially if a portion of the settlement was for lost wages.

Read more
Answered on 3/01/13, 2:20 pm
Donald McLeaish McLeaish&Associates;, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes if u want to be is an expense for the insurer and to obtain a deduction, it has to prove who was paid...however, such payments are NOT taxable to you...

Read more
Answered on 3/01/13, 2:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Personal Injury Law and Tort Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now