Texas  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/09/03, 11:50 am

Verbal Agreement with Boyfriend

My boyfriend was going to buy a condo. The downpayment and closing costs were going to be $10,000. I told him I would pay $5000 of the downpayment & closing costs and we would split the mortgage payment, HOA fees, etc.

He was denied a mortgage because of his credit. I obtained a mortgage in my name (warranty deed). I accepted his $5000 payment.

Though I have met my obligation by paying the mortgage, etc. on time, his payments to me for his half have been sporadic. Neither of us lives in the condo on a regular basis. There is no formal cohabitation. It was simply the half-way point between our respective cities and was convenient for the sake of travel.

We are now splitting up. Does this man have any legal recourse if I decide to sell or lease this property? His name does not appear on any documents.

1 Answer

Answered on: 6/09/03, 3:06 pm by Paul Velte IV

Re: Verbal Agreement with Boyfriend

You can do anything you want with that unit. He is in a very weak position to assert any kind of claim. He could try though, but if he's as unreliable as his payment history shows, then I doubt he will. He could try to assert he has an "equitable" interest but he'd have to sue to establish it, since his interest appears nowhere of record, and you're not married. He could also sue for reimbursement, but you could probably defeat that too, since he didn't keep up his end of the bargain with timely mortgage payments, and you had to cover them when he didn't. And men wonder why women think they're such deadbeats...

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Paul C. Velte IV, Attorney at Law 109 E. Hopkins St., Suite 204 San Marcos, TX 78666

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search