Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Texas

I filed personal bankruptcy about 30 years ago and had a Master Card balance discharged. Now my current bank has switched from Visa to Master Card and wants me to take a Master Card Debit card to access their ATM. Can Master Card attempt to collect an old discharged balance if I attempt to take a Master Card Debit card through my bank?

Saharie L. Reed Reed Legal Group

Good morning,

The Master Card that was discharged about 30 year was more than likely a credit card. If the bankruptcy included this unsecured debt it is gone. Furthermore, the statute of limitations has run for that company to report it to your credit file and for it to be removed from your credit file as well.

More importantly, the Master Card you are talking about now is a debit card. This card is tied to the amount of cash you have on deposit with your bank. Based on the information provided, I highly doubt that you will have any problems with your new debit card being issued or with Master Card the credit card provider.

To answer you question directly: Master Card can not attempt to collect the discharged debt.

If you run into problems, you can reach me at: sreed@reedlegalgroup.com

Thanks,

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Texas

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms