Legal Question in Business Law in Texas

Hi, I run a $30 million division for a large advertising/publishing company, and have recently started my own business on the side. The model is essentially the same. We focus on a different client base (local vs national) although we have developed some national partners based off our local relationships.

I wasn't concerned until another individual left the company and started something exactly like our large company, and they are in litigation up to their neck. The primary difference is they stole company data to start their company and run on the exact same model as the large company. I have never taken or considered taking anything from the large company, but I am concerned that they will try to litigate me since I do have a few national clients based solely from the local relationships.

Should I be concerned, and how can I protect myself and the company?

Fini Thomas FT LAW FIRM (www.ftfirm.com)

There is a risk that they will bring a similar claim against you. However, there are a number of factors to consider, such as whether you signed a non-compete agreement with them. I would advise you to seek the opinion of an experienced attorney in this area to perform an analysis of the risk.

Arthur Geffen Arthur H. Geffen, P.C.

Mr. Thomas is correct. If ou are competing with the business that you work for, then you should at the very least have a highly competent business lawyer on your team.

More Business Law questions and answers in Texas

Business Law Legal Forms