Legal Question in Business Law in Texas

I am starting a t-shirt boutique and would like to use a particular image that I saw on Pinterest. I'd like to use that image as my logo. Can I? Do I need to ask for permission from the owner? Thoughts??

Fran Brochstein Attorney, Arbitrator & Mediator

I assume it is copyrighted or trademarked. You cannot steal someone else's work. You could be sued. This is theft of someone else's property. The other person owns this logo. I'm sure you would be very unhappy if someone stole an idea of yours without compensation.

I suggest that you retain legal counsel and get everything done in writing before investing money, time and energy in your boutique. I personally would not spend money on inventory and then find out I had wasted my money and time.

If you cannot afford an attorney now, then I would be re-thinking opening a boutique. Opening a small business is expensive. You need to do it correctly and legally. Getting to know a good attorney is vital in running a successful business. People get injured in small businesses all the time and threaten to sue small business owners all the time. I encourage small business owners to develop an on-going relationship with a good CPA and attorney before they need them!

More Business Law questions and answers in Texas

Business Law Legal Forms