Texas  |  Credit and Debt Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/05/03, 10:33 pm

Being billed for medical services performed when I was a minor

When I was 16, I had surgery at a local hospital. My mom signed all financial papers, and was responsible for 20% her insurance did not cover. Due to family emergency she was unable to pay and is going bankrupt. I just found out now that I am 18 the hospital's collection agency is billing me for it and has placed two negative remarks on my credit report. Can they do this? Also were they legally allowed to share my information and social security number given as part of hospital admission, not billing, with the collection agency, even though it was my mother's account, without notifying me. I was never notified that I had become responsible for the account either. Also if I do not owe money are they required to remove the listing from my credit report? One representative told me I was not responsible for the money but they only way I could remove the listings from my credit was to pay the bill. Later a second representative told me I owed the money. If anything they are telling me is wrong how do I get them to correct it?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search