Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Texas

Car loan gone bad!!

In 2002 i took out a car loan in new york with high interest(bad idea).In 2003 the company i worked for went out of bussiness after struggling to remain open after 911(terrorist attack).Well i lost my job and still made payment until 2006 i decided i couldnt afford new york anymore and move here dallas texas which by the way.. Ilove texas.So 2006 i called the loan company and ask them to pick up the car and they did. I could not afford the payments.They sold the car.And i asked them if i could make minimun paymentsof 100$ they rejected my offer and expected me to continue to pay the regualr payment.Ok now 2008 and they sold my account to collections-attorney office. My debt has grown 2 per day in interest.And they are sending me to court in ny. I called them and let them know i am still in texas. And they said they will see me in court here.My debt was 9,000 and now its 11,000$$$ they wont take my minimun payments 100 and stop the interest.They say i have to pay almost 400 a month i just cant afford it.What can happen when they take me to court. I dont want to go to jail. Please help

Asked on 2/26/08, 1:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Grissom Law Office of James P. Grissom
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Car loan gone bad!!

Actually, I would like to see the documentation and any lawsuit filed against you in NY. Generally speaking a defendant has a right to be sued in his home county (where you live). Clauses which allow a lawsuit in a distant state have been frowned upon. If you want my assistance in this matter, please contact me by email.

Read more
Answered on 2/26/08, 2:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now