Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

If a defendant was charged with 2 counts of aggravated sexual assault of a child and 3 counts of indecency with a child and has admitted guilt is it standard procedure for the prosecutor to offer a plea bargain agreement of a lesser charge of injury to a child-bodily injury without admitting guilt and 4 years deferred adjudication probation?

Asked on 2/20/11, 2:10 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Gary Thomas Gary Thomas Law Office, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

There is no standard procedure for this kind of plea bargain with so many counts involved. Not so many similar cases to use for comparison. Sounds like a reasonable offer to me, however, and discovery may show some weaknesses in state's case that lead to it.

Read more
Answered on 2/20/11, 2:48 pm
Cynthia Henley Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Standard procedure is for the prosecutor to review all of the facts of the case and determine what s/he thinks is a good and fair offer on the case. Multiple counts do not tell the entire story. It could be that the prosecutor had overwhelming concerns about the child that caused the offer to be something that the defendant would accept. It could be that the prosecutor had questions about the admissibility of the "confession" and the strength fo the evidence. There are many variations on why specific offers are made.

Read more
Answered on 2/20/11, 2:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88693 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Craig EpifanioCraig Epifanio, P.A.St Petersburg, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now