Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

Two of my good friends got arrested the other night. They were dropping me off at my apartments and while me one of my friends were in the car the other was outside the car arguing really loud on the phone with his girlfriend. It was late at night and someone called the cops. Before the cops arrived I got out of the car and right as they were driving off the cops stopped them. They searched their bodies and the car and found a small amount of marijuana, a scale, and baggies. I walked to the cop car when they were put in handcuffs. This was the first time the cops noticed I was outside. From the backseat of the cop car, one friend asked me to tell the cops the marijuana was mine and he would bond me out. The cops said even if I did they wouldn't let them go, and if I wanted to take the blame I would have to do so in court. The next morning I bonded one out, and the other friend's mom bonded him out. They are both on probation and are now out. If I were to write a statement saying the substances were mine and I left them in the car, would they be off the hook? What would happen to me? I live in Texas by the way and have a clean record. Would I just have to pay a fine? Probation?

Keith Engelke Law Office of S. Keith Engelke

Possession of 0-2 oz of marijuana is a class B misdemeanor, the range of punishment is up to 180 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $2000. Beyond that the punishment ranges increases with the amount possessed. You can get probation or deferred adjudication.. Much of this depends on the polices of the local prosecutors and courts.

If your friends are already on probation, it sounds as though confessing to this offense will not help them but will hurt you. Suggest you contact a local criminal defense attorney for more information.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas