Texas  |  Criminal Law

Guilt by association

Five people, including me, were at a private residence that was the object of a drug raid. Four ounces of pot were discovered in a drawer in the house. I don't own or live in the house and I was not in possession of any drugs. The police searched my car, with my permission, and no drugs were found there either. However, everyone was arrested and all charged with felony possession. The authorities indicate they intend to present the case to the grand jury and have repeatedly refused to provide anything indicating the basis for the charge. The only information I am able to get, from the police, is a partial arrest report, which basically says I was arrested. About six months ago I pled guilty to misdemeanor possession of paraphernalia and paid the fine. The above are my only two experiences with the law. Even several of the arresting officers were surprised that I was arrested.

How can I find out what evidence the state claims to have against me?

What impact will the earlier conviction have on this current charge?

What would be the best way to go about having this charge dismissed?

I have very little income and need legal help.