Texas  |  Criminal Law

I hired an Attorney that worked with a Firm, I paid a flat fee. Now the case is up and that lawyer is GONE and they just "assigned" me someone else, without my knowledge or consent. Is that legal and is there a way I can get a refund to hire someone else? This is a felony case and when I looked up the Attorney they want me to use, he specializes in Family Law. There has been zero communication since November and the BAILSMAN is the one that told me the court date is next week! Can they just change lawyers on you without your knowledge? They told me I hired the FIRM, not the lawyer, but that was NOT my understanding when I specifically called and paid the lawyer (I THOUGHT!) I wanted! Now I'm afraid I'm stuck with an under-qualified Attorney.

Answered on: 6/24/13, 7:48 pm by W. Tyler Edmondson

You should probably read through the contract you signed to hire the original attorney. It should say whether this is allowed. The contract will also address the policy regarding refunds. I would have to say that the attorney's failure to keep you updated on the progression of the case is not very professional. I would also suggest that just because the attorney claims to be specialized in Family Law doesn't mean that he is not a competent criminal attorney. Some of the best criminal attorneys I know also specialize in Family Law.

Edmondson Law, PLLC. 303 S. Jackson, Ste. 200 Wylie, TX 75098