Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

My husband is currently serving an 8yr centence for possetion, he was previously on 7yr probation for possetion of a controlled substance.... he was approved for parole in august 2013 but date was removed for having a detainer same state Texas different couty... he now took care of the detainer they gave him 5yr run cuncurrent.... I need help understanding this I have no clue what is happening

Cynthia Henley Cynthia Henley, Lawyer

He gets no "street time" meaning that the only real credit he has is when he was in custody. So, he is serving 5 years and 8 years but because they are concurrent, the 5 year sentence is "eaten up" by the 8 year sentence. It will not extend the sentence past 8 years. However, it can and will affect when he will be paroled. A guy with 2 cases does not get paroled as quickly as a guy with 1 case. Moreover, it depends on what the new case is. He is likely to get at least a 2 and possibly a 3 year set off.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas