Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

Can a lawyer send you to jail if you dont pay him if you want him off your case

Asked on 2/26/12, 2:00 am

2 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Tuthill Law Office of Robert H. Tuthill
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Absolutely not. If you want a different lawyer, go hire a different lawyer. Your new lawyer will file a "motion to substitute counsel" and he will be your new attorney of record.

The only things your lawyer can do if you fail to pay is ask the court to withdraw from your case and attempt to sue you in civil court for breach of contract and try to recover any fees owed. Lawyers going after their clients in civil court and recovering anything is extremely rare, however, and only really happens if very large fees are involved.

Read more
Answered on 2/26/12, 8:09 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now