Texas  |  Criminal Law

Search and rescue dogs - theft

Sirs,

Thank you for considering my question.

I am having my house remodeled. The same 5 contractors are in my house every day.

Wednesday March 30 I discovered jewelry missing and called the police. I was able to tell the police that the time frame it was taken was between 11.30 and 3.30 because I had placed it in the box before gong to lunch, and went to retrieve it when I returned.

Cutting a long story short - the police dusted for prints on the container the jewelry was in, and although each of the contractors agreed to be fingerprinted - the police did not fingerprint anyone, even though they said they had a 'good print'.

The police then brought 3 search and rescue 'sniff' dogs to my home and all three dogs identified the same contractor; yet they did not arrest him.

Could you please explain to me why that is and if I have any civil recourse.

They are telling me that my case will be assigned to a detective at the PD on Monday who will present the case to the district attorney in the hopes he takes the case.

I am baffled, frustrated and very upset; and would appreciate any assistance, advice or direction that you could provide.

Thank you.