Texas  |  Criminal Law

My wife was shot by her ex-husband 6 years ago. The gun fired during an altercation and the gun fell. She felt that he was going to kill her so they both fought for the gun. The gun fired and has placed my wife in a wheelchair. He was never convicted and the court case was delayed up to 2 years when it was administratively discharged. I'm wondering what it would take to get a hold of investigation notes and files and to try and get this case re-opened. The lead investigator was a friend of the ex-husband's father and had lunch with him every Saturday. This was definitely a product of the good ol' boy system. We want justice.

Answered on: 10/26/13, 7:27 am by Cynthia Henley

I do not know what "administratively discharged" means. Sounds like "not bothering". Whether or not there is a case depends on more facts than you have provided - how did the gun get involved? Did she have it or did he have it? You cannot get the investigative notes. Only thing you can do is contact the investigating agency to see if there is anything that can be done. Perhaps a new person is in the division. You can also try contacting the Texas Rangers if you have proof that the investigator is / was indeed friends with the defendant.

Cynthia Henley, Lawyer 7626 E. Jordan Cove Houston, TX 77055-5053