Texas  |  DUI Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 11/07/12, 11:22 pm

A year ago, August of 2011, I went to a party with my best friend four days before leaving for my freshman year of college. We went to see other friends before everyone left for school. We didn't drink and were about to leave when the cops came because of a noise complaint even though it was on acres of land. They divided us into minors and 21 and older. They asked those who drank to raise their hands. We didn't. The lady cop asked for our information then gave us MIC's even though we didn't drink. Then the citation later said we were being charged with an MIP. We pled non-guilty and I asked for a trial by jury and was told I would receive my court date by a letter. I never received that letter. I thought the charge maybe got dismissed but now I got a letter saying that I violated my promise to show to court, that I owe 500 dollars now, that my license will not get renewed, and that the MIP is still on my record. What do I do?

1 Answer

Answered on: 11/08/12, 8:06 am by William Mitchell

You definitely do not want to just pay the tickets off. It may cost you more money but you need a lawyer to go get the warrant set aside and get your case put back on the court's docket. If you simply pay the tickets, they will result in final convictions. An MIP conviction would result in a license suspension of at least 30 days and if you were to receive another one, it could be enhanced to a class B misdemeanor. I handle cases in this area as well as lots of other lawyers. For more information or a free consultation, visit my website at


Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of William Mitchell 401 South Congress Suite 1540 Austin, TX 78701

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search