Texas  |  Family Law

Are braces considered medically necessary in Texas? The father of my child has never paid me a cent of the medical bills that I accrued while my sone was living with me for over 10 years. He now has my son and went and put braces on him without consulting me first, and expects me to pay half the monthly bill of 218.00 which I cannot afford. Is this enforcable if I did not agree (especially since they got some special braces and not the traditional, which are cheaper).

Answered on: 7/08/13, 8:54 am by Fran Brochstein

Generally, braces are considered medically necessity. You can pay the orthodontist directly. Or, pay what you can afford each month.

Also, you can add up what the dad owes you and send him a bill for what he still owes you.

I assume that you have copies of all those old bills. I hope so. Those bills do not go away just because you no longer have possession of the child. You might also want to "deduct" this debt from what he owes you.

You probably need to hire a lawyer, but i doubt you can afford it.

Attorney, Arbitrator & Mediator 8978 Kirby Drive Houston, TX 77054